9.30.2009

Stick this!


So, I never had the intention of becoming a phlebotomist...it just kind of happened. I was exposed to LOTS of needles as a child (read previous blog for more info), which means lots of blood was also around. Neither needles or blood have ever bothered me so I find it hard to empathize with people who FREAK the fuck out over the SIGHT of a needle...or blood for that matter. I can get another person's blood on me and it's really no big deal to me. Wash it off. Pretty simple.

Anyhow, so when I applied for the first time at Methodist, it was spur of the pre-meditated. I mean, I knew I was sick of making $10.00/hour as an EMT at Care. I knew I wanted something more than what I had at the time. The first job I applied for was a position as a telemetry tech. I figured with my experience as a medic student and being ACLS certified that I would have a pretty good shot at it. I ended up getting a call regarding the job, but actually turned down an interview due to some scheduling issues with work, clinicals, and school.

When I broke my foot (today is the one year anniversary of that wretched event), things got a little wonky. I was off work until the doc released me. I couldn't walk, so clearly I couldn't work on the ambulance anymore. Womp womp. About a month and a half went by of me not working before I flipped my lid, to say it nicely. Long story short, I called my boss, and went back to work as a dispatcher AND they were so kind to give me an extra dollar an hour.

Working as a dispatcher got old, REAL QUICK. SO, I started (not that I had ever stopped) looking around for other options. I knew I had Lindsay's support and encouragement in whatever I chose to do, so that only motivated me to make a change.

I applied for a job as a cardiac tech at Methodist...and well, after a great first impression, several interviews, and job shadowing, I got the job. GO ME!!!! After more than 2 years at Care, I quit the same day I found out about the new position at Clarian.

What the heck does a cardiac tech do, you may be thinking??? Just wait...I can answer that question. I walk around the ENTIRE HOSPITAL all day tethered to a pager and when called upon, I perform lab draws, start IVs, and perform EKGs. About 70% of what I do...I do with a needle. That is where the beginning of my blog comes in. Blood does not bother me one bit, neither do needles (did I make this clear already?), so my job is a pretty good fit for me for the time being. It's the least stressful job, highest paying job I have ever had....and most days, I enjoy my job. The only stress I really have is dealing with DUMB ASS PEOPLE, mostly nurses.

So there you have it. I never intended on becoming a phlebotomist..my path just kind of ended up here. I wonder what I will be doing ten years from now???

1 comment:

  1. 10 years from now you'll be anything you want to be love! Oh, and a mom and a doggie mom and still a wonderful partner!

    ReplyDelete