4.30.2009

Chicago: The "L"

You can't go to Chicago and not notice this badass in the middle of damn near every street. This is a street view of the "L", which if you don't know is part of Chicago's public transportation system. It's an elevated train system that is operated by electricity. Way to be green, Chicago.

Anyhow, after our long day of touring and soaking up the sunshine, we went back to our hotel, relaxed for a few minutes, and cleaned ourselves up for the long anticipated Girlyman concert. More on that, in my next blog. This blog, I am dedicating to Chicago's public transportation system, because I am purely in love with it.

We considered driving from our swanky hotel over to The Old Towne School of Folk Music, but number 1. we didn't have directions OR time, and number 2. I was drooling over riding the train. While my love finished getting ready, I headed down to the concierge to ask a few questions. We were taking a shot in the dark that the "L" would take us to our final destination. After all, it was almost 9 miles away. But hey, it never hurts to ask.

I inquired at the desk if they might possibly have a map of the "L" and all of its routes. The concierge lady was more than happy to help me out. Not only did she give me a map, but she got online for me and looked up the exact locations where we would board the train and how long our trip would take. SCORE!!!!!!

It was super convenient that our train stop was only about a block and a half from the hotel. I went back upstairs, with a complete glow in my eyes, anticipating riding the train and announced the news to my lady. She put on the finishing touches and out the door we went.

A short walk and we had arrived at our stop. It was a little confusing with the revolving doors that only went one way (which of course was not the way we were going), but we eventually figured it out. The fee for one ride on the "L" is a mere $2.25, which made riding even more enjoyable. (Note to any future riders: take EXACT CHANGE). We snagged our CTA passes and through the crazy doors we went. I was amazed at what the platform looked like...


A look to the left...
A look to the right...

The train *ZOOMING* by...


The ride itself wasn't all that amazing. Really, it was kind of like I was in another world. The buildings were seriously inches away from the window as we passed by. On top of that, there was a lady that looked like a corpse who would not stop staring at me. Whatever, I lived. Our ride was about 35 minutes or so and when we got off the train at our stop, we only had to walk about three blocks to Old Towne. WOOT!!!

Silly me, breaking CTA rules...and eating ice cream on the train.


My love, being beautiful on the train...post-concert.


So, the train kicked ass and I can't wait to go back and ride it again. It really makes everything super accessible and for a little country girl like myself, it's just an added bonus of something new and exciting!

1 comment:

  1. The last word on the L.
    Or the L word.
    I love the industrial look of the city because of these, and how I wish our city had this kind of mass transit!

    ReplyDelete